- "The 8th Wonder of the World is in Space."
- – Talos I Poster [src]
Talos I is an advanced space station and laboratory orbiting the moon in the year 2035, and is the primary location for the events of Prey (2017).
Talos I is composed of different sections which were built over the years since the Kletka Program in the 60s. They differ in both design and utility, being used for research, production, logistics or crew services. Retrofuturism and Art Deco are the most prominent style of decor on the station. Tape reel computers and similar outdated technology is still located in the station but they have since been refurbished to fit modern standards or have been cleaned up to act as decoration.
The station itself was anchored around the Kletka Containment Unit, before being expanded first vertically and then horizontally with modular decks. In its final form, Talos I is composed of three levels, each with an Escape Pod Bay and with a deck or sector connected to a lift in parallel to an utility system. The station is overall composed of:
- Arboretum (Sector ARB000): Botanical and experimental gardens, hub to the Executive decks and connected to the main lift. Contains an airlock.
- Crew Quarters (Sector ARB01): Living quarters for the station's crew, complete with recreation services.
- Deep Storage (Sector ARB02): Data processing hub, where all information created on Talos 1 is stored.
- Talos I Bridge (Sector ARB03): Station control and dispatch center.
- Talos I Lobby (Sector LOB000): The Station's main lobby containing the administrative offices and Trauma Center, connected to the main lift.
- Shuttle Bay (Sector LOB01): Spaceport for landing and departure of commercial spaceships. Contains an airlock.
- Neuromod Division (Sector LOB02): Laboratory for the research and development of Neuromods, also housing the Volunteer Quarters.
- Hardware Labs (Sector LOB02): Research and development facility for hardware and weapon systems. Contains an airlock in the machine shop.
- Psychotronics (Sector LOB03): Research laboratory and containment unit for the Typhon, built around the original Kletka Containment Unit. Contains an airlock.
- Life Support (Sector LIF000): Air and water filtration facilities. The water treatment plant also serves as an eel farm, connected to the main lift.
- Cargo Bay (Sector LIF01): Shipment processing. Contains exterior access.
- Power Plant (Sector LIF02): Station's power source, houses the nuclear reactor. Contains an airlock.
- G.U.T.S.: The zero Gravity Utility Tunnel System connects the Cargo Bay, Shuttle Bay, Psychotronics and Arboretum, used to control utility systems throughout the station and process shipments. Also contains the Magnetosphere generator, which shields the station from solar radiation.
- Talos I Exterior: Six rings of solar panels gravitate around the station, powered by the Magnetosphere. The exterior can be reached from one of five airlocks throughout Talos I, as well as through the Cargo Bay's loading doors.
In 1958, the Soviet Union launched the Vorona-1 Satellite, which entered orbit at LaGrange Point-Two between the Earth and the Moon. Following a communications failure from the satellite, the heads of the Soviet space program sent several cosmonauts to investigate. There, they encountered hostile non-terrestrial life forms which proceeded to kill the cosmonauts. The Vorona 1 was scuttled, and the footage of the incident was labeled a state secret and buried.